Friday, August 12, 2016

5 Awesome Pets for Apartments and Dorms

College can be one of the best times of your life, but it can also be one of the loneliest. Especially in dorms, where it feels like you’re trapped in a cave. A small, low-maintenance pet can bring happiness and light to any dreary dorm room or liven up an apartment! I’ve put together a list of five awesome pets perfect for dorm and apartment living. 

1) A Venus Flytrap
Personally, I think Venus Flytraps are awesome (obviously, because it’s on my list). I’m planning on getting one soon, just to have a living thing in our apartment, other than my roommate and I. It obviously can’t communicate with you or show emotions at all really, but I think it’s a great in-between pet for college! (I know it’s a plant. But still.)
Just pretend it's an Oddish! That's what I'm going to do anyway. This is my Oddish on Pokemon Go (Go Team Mystic)!
2) Parakeet
I had a parakeet for a year and half, and she lived in our apartment. Daisy was so fun to listen to; her incessant chirping brought happiness to our little place. A parakeet probably isn’t the best idea for a dorm, but it’d be great for an apartment. They’re relatively easy to take care of; just clean out their cage every once and a while and feed them a diet of seeds and vegetables.
This week's post was actually inspired by Daisy; she passed away earlier this week. I love you, Daisy!
3) Hermit Crab
A hermit crab would be a really cool pet to have in college! Though they are about as emotionless as a Venus Flytrap, they’re fun to mess around with. Just keep one in a little tank and feed it, cleaning the tank regularly. Easy enough, right?

4) Betta Fish
I had a Betta fish during my freshman year of college. He stayed in my dorm room on my desk. It was nice having something to talk to when my roommate was away; plus, it was a great way to meet new people. My floormates would pop in to see my fish every now and then. I cleaned out the tank in the community sink area, but it wasn’t too hard to take care of! My fish ended up coming with me to my apartment as well. I just fed him a pinch of food every day. He lived pretty long for a fish; about a year and a half!
His name was Macapuno, which is a Filipino coconut!
5) Rat
I know, I know. Rats get a bad rap. But my brother and sister-in-law had two rats for a while, and they were actually really cute! They have great personalities and are relatively easy to take care of. The only downsides are that your new pets may scare away some potential friends, but rats are honestly great pets. We watched my brother and sister-in-law’s rats for a while once, and my family all grew to like them.

If all else fails, you can always keep a plant in your dorm or apartment, just to have something to take care of. Sometimes, having to look after something is therapeutic. I know it was for me when I took care of Daisy. It helps to diffuse the stresses of school, and it’s nice to have a living thing relying on you. 

That’s all for this week! Be sure to subscribe and visit my Facebook page, “Emiliana Maye”!

Until next time!

-Emiliana Maye 

No comments:

Post a Comment